Travel insurance FAQ
The current corona crisis is throwing many travel plans and itineraries into disarray. What if you are about to go on a trip abroad? And what if you are already there? It's time to answer some frequently asked questions for each insurance product.
The insurer always relies on the travel advice given by FPS Foreign Affairs when deciding whether or not to pay out. If you book a trip after a travel ban has been issued, the insurer will not pay out because this information was already known when you booked the trip.
Please note: if you want to open a file for one of the insurance policies mentioned below, please send the necessary proof. You will find the required proof on the claim forms.
- Claim for travel assistance insurance? Call the Assist'Line on +32 2 550 06 00 (24/24 and 7/7)
- Claim for travel cancellation insurance (ING Lion Travel Stop)? Fill in this form.
ING Lion Assistance, ING Assistance and ING Global Assistance
These products are insured by Inter Partner Assistance and offered by ING.
Do you have annual travel assistance insurance? If so, you are covered worldwide for your medical expenses and repatriation. Always check the individual country guidelines from the FPS Foreign Affairs, as the insurer relies on the travel advice of FPS Foreign Affairs when deciding whether or not to pay out.
Always check the terms and conditions of your insurance policy to find out the extent of your coverage. .
Below, you will find the main corona crisis coverages offered by ING Lion Assistance (annual contract), ING Global Assistance and ING Assistance.
The coverages discussed here are similar for the three products (ING Lion Assistance, ING Assistance or ING Global Assistance), only the excess amount may differ.
- Reimbursement of medical expenses abroad: up to EUR 100,000 per insured person with an annual contract, subject to an excess of EUR 50 with ING Lion Assistance and ING Global Assistance and an excess of EUR 35 with ING Assistance. The insurer advances the costs on the spot and settles with the health insurance fund afterwards.
- Reimbursement of after-treatment expenses in Belgium: up to EUR 2,500 per insured person up to a maximum of 1 year from the day of the accident abroad and provided that the insured was hospitalised for at least one night. The insurer advances the costs on the spot and settles with the health insurance fund afterwards.
- Reimbursement of the repatriation of the injured/sick person and other insured persons and/or of the costs of an extended stay in the hotel (or rental property) if the injured person cannot be transported for medical reasons (up to a maximum of EUR 100 per day and up to a maximum of 10 days per insured person).
- Reimbursement of costs of an extended stay in the hotel (or rental property) for reasons of force majeure (strikes, natural phenomena, epidemics, etc.): up to a maximum of EUR 100 per day and a maximum of EUR 500 per insured person.
ING Global Assistance: general terms and conditions (page 35 onwards)
I booked a trip before the negative travel advice from FPS Foreign Affairs. A negative travel advice is issued during my trip. Will my assistance insurance pay for any medical expenses?
Since the travel advice was still positive on the day you went abroad, your travel assistance insurance will pay for medical expenses you incur abroad. If you have to return early on the advice of FPS Foreign Affairs, always contact your tour operator or airline first. Then contact your insurer.
I booked a trip before the negative travel advice from FPS Foreign Affairs. During my trip, I am quarantined in my hotel. Will the assistance insurance pay for additional hotel expenses?
If you are ill and have to stay at the hotel for at least 48 hours on medical grounds, the travel assistance insurance will pay for additional expenses up to a maximum of €100 per insured person per day for a maximum of 10 days.
Please note: if you are stuck abroad due to force majeure, but are not ill, the travel assistance insurance will pay out €100 per insured person per day, up to a maximum of €500 per insured person.
What if I have to go through quarantine abroad and miss my return flight?
If the airline or travel agency cannot book you on a later flight, the insurer will book an alternative flight in consultation with the insured person. However, the costs of the flight shall be borne by the insured person.
I booked a trip before the negative travel advice from FPS Foreign Affairs. A negative travel advice has been issued since then, but I’m travelling anyway. Will my travel insurance pay for any medical expenses?
The travel assistance insurance will pay for these.
I travelled before the negative travel advice from the FPS Foreign Affairs. I am currently abroad and my return journey has been cancelled. What should I do?
Always contact your tour operator or your airline to reschedule your flight. If you have to extend your stay because of this, you can always ask for a payout from the insurer. The maximum reimbursement from the travel assistance insurance is €100 per day per insured person up to a maximum of €500 per insured person.
The telecommunication costs with the insurer that were incurred in connection with the insured event abroad will be reimbursed. Please always provide proof of this.
The purpose of ING Lion Travel Stop travel cancellation insurance is to reimburse the cancellation fee in the event of cancellation or interruption of your trip. Always check the general terms and conditions that apply to your cancellation insurance for the extent of the coverage. Please note: this insurance is now only offered as an option together with an annual travel assistance policy.
ING Lion Travel Stop
This product is insured by Inter Partner Assistance and offered by ING.
The total cost of the travel contract, subject to a maximum of EUR 3,000 per insured person per trip and an overall maximum of EUR 12,500 per trip per year.
What happens if the trip has to be cancelled due to the travel ban?
ING Lion Travel Stop will not pay out if the trip has to be cancelled due to the travel ban. The other reasons for cancellation mentioned in the General Terms and Conditions remain valid.
I booked my trip before the negative travel advice from FPS Foreign Affairs due to Covid-19. If I have to cancel this trip because of negative travel advice at the time of departure, will my cancellation insurance pay out?
1. Did you book your trip through a tour operator? Please contact the tour operator first.
2. If your tour operator or airline will not pay out, ING Lion Travel Stop will pay for the costs of your trip and any excursions booked. Remember to always send us the claim form. This guarantee extension is exceptionally granted in the context of Covid-19, if the journey was booked before the negative travel advice was issued.
I have contracted Coronavirus before my departure. Will my cancellation insurance pay out?
We wish you a speedy recovery.
Fortunately, you don’t need to worry about cancellation insurance as ING Lion Travel Stop will pay out if you fall ill before your departure. Always provide us with proof (a doctor's certificate) together with the claim form.
I am showing symptoms of Coronavirus before I travel. What if I can’t travel because of this?
ING Lion Travel Stop will pay out if the doctor advises you to stay indoors and not travel. Always provide us with proof (a doctor's certificate) together with the claim form.
What happens if I have already booked my trip, but my visa has been refused?
ING Lion Travel Stop will pay for the cancellation of your trip if your visa is refused. Always provide us with proof together with the claim form.
Can I book a trip if FPS Foreign Affairs gives negative travel advice regarding Covid-19?
You can book a trip but be aware that ING Lion Travel Stop will not pay out in this case as pandemics are not covered.
If your trip was cancelled for a reason that is covered by ING Lion Travel Stop (e.g. illness or accident), any trip cancellation fees will be refunded.
Always contact your tour operator or airline.