Home insurance for tenants
Cover your liability as a tenant and protect your content.
You rent a property and accidentally cause a damage? Then you must compensate the owner. At such times, you are relieved to have an insurance. Discover the ING Home Insurance, tailor-made for tenants!
Simple, quick and online
You are insured immediately after payment.
Tailored to tenants
The price is calculated according to the surface area of your property. You can also choose additional coverage (household effects, theft and family insurance).
Our staff is available day and night to advise and assist you.
It is a complete insurance for your private home, subject to Belgian law and developed by NN Non-Life Insurance SA/NV, a Dutch incorporated company set up to insure Belgian risks, at attractive rates with tailor-made cover.
You have undoubtedly heard of "tenant liability" or your responsibilities as a tenant. ING Home Insurance for tenants compensates the owner for any damage you accidentally cause to the property you are renting. And if your mishap also causes damage to your neighbours' property, these costs will also be refunded.
You have the option of applying for ING Home Insurance entirely online. Simply complete the questionnaire to receive all insurance documents by e-mail or post.
Tip: while completing the form, be sure to take a look at the information icons with extra information. Or read the Frequently Asked Questions on the right-hand side of the questionnaire. Need help ? Call us on +32 2 464 65 04 (Monday to Friday : from 8:00 till 22:00 ; Saturday : from 9:00 till 17:00).
The cost of ING Home insurance is fully tailored to:
- The property your rent. Is it an apartment, town house or detached house? What is the property's surface area, how many rooms are there?
- Your profile. Do you keep a valuable collection or expensive sports equipment at home? And would you like to insure that as well? Choose the value for which you want to insure your contents and see immediately how much it will cost.
- Your formula. Are you insuring your property, your contents or both? Would you like to include additional Theft and Private Liability Insurance?
You pay for your tenant insurance annually by bank transfer or direct debit. If you choose direct debit, you can spread your payments out monthly at no extra charge.
What factors determine whether you can be or remain insured, what is and is not covered by the policy and what does it all cost? Read all about it in our Segmentation policy.
With our home insurance, managing your policy has never been so easy. Need to make changes or cancel your insurance? You can modify your policy yourself in a few clicks via Home'Bank.
- Update my personal or payment details
- Change my legal address
- Change your address via Home'Bank in your Settings. If your identity card has already been updated, you can also do this via an ING branch or by uploading the data from your eID online.
- Change the account number used for my premium payments (PDF)
- Pay my insurance premiums by direct debit (PDF)
- Pay my insurance monthly
- If you pay by direct debit, you can pay your premiums monthly. If you already pay by direct debit, call us on +32 2 464 65 04 (Monday to Friday : from 8:00 till 22:00 ; Saturday : from 9:00 till 17:00) and we will take care of it.
- Add or remove cover from my policy
- Remove cover from my ING Home Insurance (PDF)
- Extend my ING Home Insurance with Theft cover or other
- Call us on +32 2 464 60 04 to inform us about the additional cover you require. You can reach us Monday to Friday from 8:00 till 22:00 and Saturday from 9:00 till 17:00). If you'd like to know how much it will cost first, send us your request by e-mail and we will provide you with a customised calculation.
- Report property extensions or purchases that increase the value of my contents
- Call us on +32 2 464 60 04 (Monday to Friday : from 8:00 till 22:00 ; Saturday : from 9:00 till 17:00) or send us an e-mail. One of our experts will arrange a free of charge meeting with you to determine the new value of the home or its contents and provide you with a new price calculation.
- Terminate my policy
- Terminate my home insurance (PDF)
- Terminate my ING Home Insurance due to taking out another ING Home Insurance policy (PDF)
- Terminate my ING Home Insurance due to someone else taking over the policy (PDF)
- You first need to terminate your ING Home Insurance policy and then take out a new one in the name of the new policyholder.
- Terminate my ING Home Insurance following the sale or rental of my home (PDF)
- A rental property is usually furbished with the tenant's own belongings. If this is the case, think about how much you could lose if your toaster caught fire, for example, and more than half of your household possessions were to go up in flames. The Contents Insurance of ING Home Insurance will pay for the repair or replacement of your belongings. Bear in mind, also, that more than 200 burglaries are committed on average every day in Belgium. So it is a good idea to insure your belongings against theft as well.
- For complete peace of mind, you can also take out private liability insurance which covers the damage you or members of your household accidentally cause to other persons. And vice versa. If someone breaks your bicycle, for example, and refuses to pay for the repairs, our private liability insurance will cover the costs of any legal assistance you may need.
Should you insure your tenant liability, contents or both? Please find below a summary of what is included in each insurance policy and what additional insurance is available to you.
- Tenant's liability : your responsibility for the material damage to the property you are renting
- Contents : damage to your furniture, free standing electrical appliances, jewellery, books, clothing, etc
- Legal assistance
What extra insurance is available?
- Contents : insurance against theft of your contents*
- Family insurance**
* Why take out Theft Insurance?
Because Contents Insurance covers fire, water and other damage to your contents, but not damage to or loss of your contents due to a burglary or attempted burglary. Our Theft Insurance is also not limited to the home. If you are robbed on the street or in your car, or your son or daughter's student residence is burgled, these losses will also be covered.
** Why take out Family Insurance?
Because accidents will happen, and you cannot control everything all the time. You may knock the side mirror off a parked car while riding your bike, for example. Your daughter may break your neighbour's extremely expensive antique vase or your dog might escape and cause a car accident. None of these examples involves deliberate harm, but you are still liable for the damage.
Our Family Insurance covers your liability of the damage that you (and/or people who live with you) cause to other persons.
If someone breaks your bicycle and refuses to pay for the repairs, we also cover the costs of any legal assistance you may need.
Important information before calculating your premium
ING Home Insurance for tenants is subject to Belgian law
You can find a complete description of the insurance policies, exclusions and limitations in the General terms and conditions (pdf), the information sheet (pdf) and the information document about the insurance product (pdf). We also outline the main exclusions, limitations and other information related to ING Home Insurance (PDF). Be sure to read these documents before signing your insurance policy.
Exclusions and limitations: a brief overview
- The Theft insurance only applies if your home is occupied on a regular basis.
- The Theft insurance only applies if all exterior doors are locked and all windows (including skylights and tilt windows) are closed whenever you leave your home.
- In some cases, the Theft insurance can only be taken out if the home is fitted with an approved alarm system. If that is the case, the system must be activated every time you leave home to be able to make a claim against the insurance in the event of theft.
- In the case of material damages less than 10,000 euros, an excess of 250 euros applies. This excess is deducted from your claim.
- Caravans or houseboats cannot be insured with ING Home Insurance.
- We cannot insure properties where the roof of the main building consists of more than 25% thatch.
- Homes in which professional activities are carried out cannot be insured with ING Home Insurance. There are some exceptions, however, which are covered by the General terms and conditions.
- Personal liability insurance reimburses the cost of material damage and/or personal injury which you, members of your household or pets accidentally cause to others and for which you are legally liable.
- The Legal assistance component of this personal liability insurance reimburses you the cost of legal assistance if, e.g., someone damages your bike and refuses to pay for the repairs.
- ING Family Insurance does not cover your contractual liability. The personal liability insurance does not, e.g., cover damages to equipment which you rent or borrow from a friend.
- For material damages caused by an insured party, an excess of 250 euros is payable if the damage is less than 10,000 euros. This 250 euros is deducted from your claim.
- The Legal assistance insurance does not cover legal costs in the event the disputed damages are less than 200 euros.
- About the duration of your contract:
- your ING Home Insurance policy insures you for 1 year. Your policy is automatically renewed at maturity for an additional period of 1 year unless you provide notice of termination at least 3 months prior to the end date.
- About our insurance and conflict of interest policy:
- You can find general information about ING Belgium S.A./NV’s and the insurer NN Non-Life Insurance NV’s insurance offer and conflict of interest policy including inducements via www.ing.be > Charges and regulations > information and regulations > Insure.
Not 100% satisfied?
- Contact us online: www.ing.be/complaints, call us: +32 2 407 70 00 or send us a letter: ING Complaint Management, Cours Saint-Michel/Sint-Michielswarande 60, 1040 Brussels.
- Have you already been in touch with ING? You can also contact the Insurance Ombudsman: de Meeûs Square 35, 1000 Brussels, call +32 2 547 58 71 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
ING Home Insurance for tenants is subject to Belgian law and is offered to you, pending acceptance of your file, by:
- Insurance agent: ING Belgium SA/nv, an insurance broker registered with the FSMA under No. 12381A. Registered office: Avenue Marnix/Marnixlaan 24, B-1000 Brussels – www.ing.be – RPR/RPM Brussels – VAT BE 0403.200.393 – BIC: BBRUBEBB – IBAN: BE45 3109 1560 2789.
- Insurer: NN Non-Life Insurance nv, an insurance company incorporated under Dutch law, licensed to insure risks in Belgium, registered in Belgium under No. 1449. Registered office: Prinses Beatrixlaan 35, 2595 AK The Hague, The Netherlands – Registry of Companies No. 27127537, under the supervision of De Nederlandsche Bank.
- Representative in Belgium: NN Belgium, an insurance company accredited by NBB under No. 2551 and licensed to settle claims in Belgium on behalf of NN Non-Life Insurance nv.Registered office: Avenue Fonsny 38, B-1060 Bruxelles, Belgium – www.nn.be. Brussels Register of Companies – VAT BE 0890.270.750 – BIC: BBRUBEBB – IBAN: BE95 3200 0812 7458.