ING Home Insurance for tenants
Discover ING insurance for the place you rent.
If you are renting a house or apartment, you have certain obligations to the owner. If you or a member of the household causes damage to the property by accident, you will still have to compensate the owner for the damage. At times like these, you will be very pleased to have tenant insurance.
Simple, quick and online
You have the option of taking out this insurance online from start to finish. Thanks to just a few straightforward questions, it will only take about 10 minutes.
Tailored to tenants
ING Home Insurance allows you to insure your contents and take out private liability insurance on top of your tenant liability .That way, you will be covered for most of the risks you face as a tenant.
You can call our specialist team for advice, day or night, in the event of damage covered by your policy.
Instant assistance in the event of damage
You can call our specialist team for advice, day or night. They are also ready to go on site immediately in the event of an emergency.
If you are already insured, but would like to change, ING can help you switch to ING Home Insurance free of charge and without any effort.
85% of the people that apply for ING Home Insurance get immediate cover. Within 48 hours of making a claim, you will receive a case file number and the name of the contact person who will assist you. And if an expert appraisal is required, you will be contacted within 24 hours to arrange an appointment.
You have undoubtedly heard of "tenant liability" or your responsibilities as a tenant. ING Home Insurance for tenants compensates the owner for any damage you accidentally cause to the property you are renting. And if your mishap also causes damage to your neighbours' property, we will also reimburse you for the costs of any legal assistance you may need.
For all tenants of a house or apartment for private use.
Are you the owner of a house, apartment or entire apartment building? Then consider ING Home Insurance especially for owners.
You have the option of applying for ING Home Insurance entirely online. Simply complete the questionnaire to receive all insurance documents by e-mail or post.
Tip: while completing the form, be sure to take a look at the information icons with extra information. Or read the Frequently Asked Questions on the right-hand side of the questionnaire. If you still need help, our specialist staff are always available for expert advice and support.
The cost of ING Home insurance is fully tailored to:
- The property your rent. Is it an apartment, town house or detached house? What is the property's surface area, how many rooms are there?
- Your profile. Do you keep a valuable collection or expensive sports equipment at home? And would you like to insure that as well? Choose the value for which you want to insure your contents and see immediately how much it will cost.
- Your formula. Are you insuring your property, your contents or both? Would you like to include additional Theft and Private Liability Insurance?
You pay for your tenant insurance annually by bank transfer or direct debit. If you choose direct debit, you can spread your payments out monthly at no extra charge.
What factors determine whether you can be or remain insured, what is and is not covered by the policy and what does it all cost? Read all about it in our Segmentation policy.
Would you like to consult your contract? Or change it? With Manage my insurance, it is easier than ever.
Tip: be sure to have your policies checked or changed if, e.g., you move house, build a sun room, an extension or carry out any other works that change the number of rooms in your house. But also if you buy a new sofa or other items whereby the insured value of your contents might not be enough. The same goes for if you plan to carry out a new or different professional activity at the property or want to pay for your insurance from a different account.
A rental property is usually furbished with the tenant's own belongings. If this is the case, think about how much you could lose if your toaster caught fire, for example, and more than half of your household possessions were to go up in flames. The Contents Insurance of ING Home Insurance will pay for the repair or replacement of your belongings. Bear in mind, also, that more than 200 burglaries are committed on average every day in Belgium. So it is a good idea to insure your belongings against theft as well.
For complete peace of mind, you can also take out private liability insurance which covers the damage you or members of your household accidentally cause to other persons. And vice versa. If someone breaks your bicycle, for example, and refuses to pay for the repairs, our private liability insurance will cover the costs of any legal assistance you may need.
Should you insure your tenant liability, contents or both? Please find below a summary of what is and what is not included in each insurance policy and what additional insurance is available to you.
|Tenant's liability||Contents||Tenant's liability and Contents|
|Material damage to your property you are renting|
|Damage to your furniture, free standing electrical appliances, jewellery, books, clothing, etc.|
|Legal assistance in case of damage to the rent property and your contents|
What extra insurance is available?
|Tenant's liability||Contenu||Tenant's liability et contenu|
|Insurance against theft of your contents*|
|Personal liability insurance**|
* Why take out Theft Insurance?
Because Contents Insurance covers fire, water and other damage to your contents, but not damage to or loss of your contents due to a burglary or attempted burglary. Our Theft Insurance is also not limited to the home. If you are robbed on the street or in your car, or your son or daughter's student residence is burgled, these losses will also be covered.
** Why take out personal liability insurance?
Because accidents will happen, and you cannot control everything all the time. You may knock the side mirror off a parked car while riding your bike, for example. Your daughter may break your neighbour's extremely expensive antique vase or your dog might escape and cause a car accident. None of these examples involves deliberate harm, but you are still liable for the damage.
Our private liability insurance covers the damage that you (and/or your family members) cause to other persons and for which you are liable. But also vice versa. If someone breaks your bicycle and refuses to pay for the repairs, we also cover the costs of any legal assistance you may need.
Important information before calculating your premium
ING Home Insurance for owners is subject to Belgian law.
You can find a complete description of this home insurance for owners, including its limitations and exclusions, in the ING Family Insurance General terms and conditions (PDF) and the ING Home Insurance information sheet (PDF). We also outline the main exclusions, limitations and other information related to ING Home Insurance (PDF). Be sure to read these documents before signing your insurance policy.
Exclusions and limitations: a brief overview
- The Theft insurance only applies if your home is occupied on a regular basis.
- The Theft insurance only applies if all exterior doors are locked and all windows (including skylights and tilt windows) are closed whenever you leave your home.
- In some cases, the Theft insurance can only be taken out if the home is fitted with an approved alarm system. If that is the case, the system must be activated every time you leave home to be able to make a claim against the insurance in the event of theft.
- In the case of material damages less than 10,000 euros, an excess of 250 euros applies. This excess is deducted from your claim.
- Caravans or houseboats cannot be insured with ING Home Insurance.
- We cannot insure properties where the roof of the main building consists of more than 25% thatch.
- Homes in which professional activities are carried out cannot be insured with ING Home Insurance. There are some exceptions, however, which are covered by the General terms and conditions.
- Personal liability insurance reimburses the cost of material damage and/or personal injury which you, members of your household or pets accidentally cause to others and for which you are legally liable.
- The Legal assistance component of this personal liability insurance reimburses you the cost of legal assistance if, e.g., someone damages your bike and refuses to pay for the repairs.
- ING Family Insurance does not cover your contractual liability. The personal liability insurance does not, e.g., cover damages to equipment which you rent or borrow from a friend.
- For material damages caused by an insured party, an excess of 250 euros is payable if the damage is less than 10,000 euros. This 250 euros is deducted from your claim.
- The Legal assistance insurance does not cover legal costs in the event the disputed damages are less than 200 euros.
About our insurance and conflict of interest policy
You can consult the general information on insurance, the policy of ING Belgium SA/nv and the insurer regarding conflicts of interests (including benefits) at www.ing.be > Charges and regulations > Information and regulations.
Not 100% satisfied?
Please contact ING Complaint Management, Cours Saint-Michel/Sint-Michielswarande 60, 1040 Brussels, call +32 2 547 61 02, fax: +32 2 547 83 20 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
You have already contacted ING and are not satisfied? You can directly contact the Ombudsman of the Insurances, Square de Meeûs 35, 1000 Brussels - Tel.: +32 (2) 547 58 71 - fax: +32 (2) 547 59 75 - firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can find a complete description of terms, exclusions and limitations in the General terms and conditions (PDF) and the ING Home Insurance information sheet (PDF). We also outline the main exclusions, limitations and other information related to ING Home Insurance (PDF). Be sure to read these documents before signing your insurance policy.
ING Home Insurance is offered to you, pending acceptance of your file, by:
Insurance agent: ING Belgium SA/nv, an insurance broker registered with the FSMA under No. 12381A. Registered office: Avenue Marnix/Marnixlaan 24, B-1000 Brussels – www.ing.be – RPR/RPM Brussels – VAT BE 0403.200.393 – BIC: BBRUBEBB – IBAN: BE45 3109 1560 2789.
Insurer: NN Non-Life Insurance nv, an insurance company incorporated under Dutch law, licensed to insure risks in Belgium, registered in Belgium under No. 1449. Registered office: Prinses Beatrixlaan 35, 2595 AK The Hague, The Netherlands – Registry of Companies No. 27127537, under the supervision of De Nederlandsche Bank.
Representative in Belgium: NN Belgium, an insurance company accredited by NBB under No. 2551 and licensed to settle claims in Belgium on behalf of NN Non-Life Insurance nv. Registered office: Airport Plaza – Montreal Building, Da Vincilaan 19, B-1831 Diegem – www.nn.be - Brussels Register of Companies – VAT BE 0890.270.750 – BIC: BBRUBEBB – IBAN: BE95 3200 0812 7458.