What to do in the event of a car accident

Traffic accidents are always unexpected and inconvenient. How do you write a joint vehicle accident report? Who do you call first - the police or breakdown assistance? Stay calm and keep a cool head. That way you will deal with the situation in the best way possible.

Is anyone injured?
What should you do?
  • Call 101 (or 112 throughout Europe) as quickly as possible which will alert the emergency services and the police to inform them of the car accident.
  • If there is no risk of fire or explosion it is best not to move a seriously injured person, since this could cause even more serious injuries and/or internal bleeding. Leave this to the emergency services.
  • Don't forget to note down the names and telephone numbers of those injured in your European Accident Statement.
Is there only physical damage?
  • Fill out the accident statement straight away and describe the car accident as objectively as possible. Do this immediately after the accident even if other party tries to persuade you to put it off until later.
  • Send the accident statement to your insurer, whom you should immediately contact after the accident. Describe your location as accurately as possible (the address of the nearest house or building, and if you are on a motorway, the distance marker post) and details of the accident.

Use just one accident statement form for the vehicles involved. It normally contains two identical sheets: it is best to use a black or blue ball-point pen and to press down heavily, so that the second sheet can be read easily.

Complete all the categories in the report, including:

  • the place and time of the car accident
  • the contact details of any witnesses
  • the contact details of the insured party
  • the contact details of the driver (sometimes not the same as the insured party)
  • tick the situations which correspond to the circumstances of the accident. Very important: you must also indicate the number of boxes ticked underneath
  • draw a sketch of the accident, in agreement with the other party:

    • clearly point out the vehicles involved (A or B)
    • indicate the direction in which the vehicles were travelling
    • also mention any lights or road signs
  • specify whether the vehicle is insured against physical damage (comprehensive insurance).

Under the "Comments" heading, note down your remarks and suggest that the other party does the same.

If the other driver refuses to sign the report, ask him/her to mention in this heading the reasons for his/her refusal.

Headings which have the same meaning in all countries where a joint report is recognised can be completed normally: to do so, we would advise you to use, as a basis, a report which is written in the language you use most often.

What ING can do for you

If you have ING car insurance you enjoy the following benefits.

  • Contact Assist'Line, our helpline available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on +32 2 550 06 00. Have your insurance policy number to hand and your car registration number. Assist'Line can also help you to fill out your accident statement.
  • ING makes sure that you can continue your journey (vehicle towing, repatriation, etc.) regardless of the guarantees covered by your policy.
  • You can send the completed report to the "Claims" department by

    • e-mail:
    • fax: +32 2 407 71 53
    • post: Airport Plaza, Montreal Building, Da Vincilaan 19, 1831 Diegem
    • via your branch.
  • You will immediately receive an acknowledgement of receipt with the name and number of your personal claim manager.
  • In the event of a dispute, if you have taken out the Legal Protection guarantee, our ING insurance covers all your legal costs (lawyers, experts, etc.).
In order to avoid nasty surprises if you have a car accident, be prepared!

Take out an ING car insurance policy and take advantage of professional services and guarantees at a beneficial price.

More info