18 May 2018
4 tips for protecting your (electric) bicycle against damage and theft
More and more people are buying e-bikes. And that entails an increased risk of theft and accidents. Fortunately, with a bit of common sense and the right precautions, your e-bike will be well-protected
You've bought an e-bike, but where do you put it? What are good bicycle locks? How do you prevent damage? And do you need an insurance policy? Here, you´ll find answers to your most pressing questions..
Tip 1: Take care of your e-bike
Take the right precautionary measures and use your (electric) bicycle ´with the proper care´. In this way, you will substantially limit the risks of damage or theft:
- An e-bike is faster than a normal bicycle. First practice with it carefully before engaging in any daredevil manoeuvres.
- Make sure that the bike is well-maintained. Your brakes in particular have to be in top condition at all times.
- Reduce the chance of damage or theft. For an evening out in a hard-partying area of town, it might be best to take your normal bike (or a taxi).
- Have your bicycle engraved. You can contact your local municipal administration for this.
- Some cycle makers use handy registration forms. Ask for one when you purchase your e-bike.
Tip 2: Choose the right lock
A good bicycle lock can resist tampering with a wire-cutter or crow bar. But how do you know for sure that you´re buying the right lock?
- Purchase a hardened steel lock of sufficient thickness.
- Look for a lock with the ART quality mark with at least 3 stars.
- Choose a lock that´s long enough, so that you can fasten your bicycle anywhere.
Tip 3: Park your e-bike in a safe place
A sturdy lock is the first step. Now find a safe spot to park your bike. Take the following points into account:
- Park your bike in a well-lit place, with sufficient supervision.
- Use your ring lock in combination with a U-lock or chain lock.
- Attach the bicycle to a fixed object.
- Make use of monitored bicycle sheds.
- Lock up your e-bike even in your own garage.
Tip 4: Take out an insurance policy
You've got the risk of theft or damage largely under control, but you cannot exclude every risk. A new, expensive speed pedelec is very popular with bicycle thieves, and accidents often occur unexpectedly. An insurance policy certainly isn´t superfluous when buying an e-bike.
Not every insurance policy is the same. Take the time to find a formula that corresponds with your bicycle use. A few tips:
- Some insurance policies also offer emergency assistance.
- Most insurance policies compensate damage and theft.
- If your bike is stolen, you will have to be able to prove that it was locked. So be careful with your keys.
- If you cycle with a speed pedelec, a family insurance policy is recommended. After all, the chance of getting involved in an accident with damage is greater.
- There is an obligation to take out insurance on all motorised bicycles that can move autonomously.
Don't have an e-bike yet?
You can simulate and apply for a loan by selecting ´eco-car´. That way you´ll enjoy the best interest rate.