17 July 2018
9 amazing facts about
Having doubts about emigrating to Belgium? Or still not sure what life will be like living amongst Belgians? Don't worry! There are many things that will make the whole experience more than worth your while! Here are 9 of them to get you started.
1. Belgium is the country of classic cycling races
The incredible atmosphere comes free of charge!
2. Belgians invented the ‘spa’ …
Fun and relaxation, a typically Belgian combination!
3. … and they have the largest number of comic strip artists
Not just the world-renowned Hergé, Peyo, Franquin and Vandersteen. There are many, many more.
4. Then there’s the plethora of cafés …
One for every 300 Belgians, to be precise!
5. … and around 800 local beers
And Belgians drink about 150 litres of it per person, per year. (On average, that is.) Cheers!
6. Belgians also have the best festivals …
Ever heard, for example, of Tomorrowland (one of the largest dance festivals in the world) or Rock Werchter (voted the best festival in the world many times over).
7. … and started the whole Art Nouveau thing
The Victor Horta museum in Brussels is recommended must-see!
8. On top of all that, Belgians are pretty liberal minded …
Belgium was, for example, the second country in the world to fully support gay marriage. The Belgians even invented the peace sign!
9. … and they welcome you with open arms
© Giphy - Pukkelpop
Belgium has, after all, the largest number of immigrants per resident: 15% of the total population.
Can’t wait to come to Belgium? The ING Expat Team is ready to help you. Our specialists will guide you through every step of the process. From opening your bank account to getting a loan, taking our insurance and managing your international banking.
And then there’s our free insurance check and Mobility Checklist. Contact us today for more info!