5 May 2020
Top 10 security precautions for banking on smartphone or tablet
Using your smartphone or tablet for your banking transactions is very convenient. To stay safe follow our guidelines to ensure that you and your device are fully protected against potential fraud or software malfunction.
What can you do to protect yourself?
- Set up a security code to block your device when you are not using it.
- Only download our apps from your operating system's official sites (App Store or Google Play Store). Do the same for all your apps. Avoid intermediary sites as this increases the risk of being infected by a virus.
- Do not record any personal details on your device (identity card, account number, etc.).
- Never disclose your PIN and never write it down. Choose a combination that is impossible to guess. To help you we have created guidelines on how to create a strong password. Complete your transactions discreetly, particularly when entering your PIN. As a reminder, if ING contacts you, we will never ask you for your passwords, access codes, PINs, contact details or any other sensitive information. If you receive a call from someone claiming to work for ING but have doubts about their authenticity, do not hesitate to hang up and call ING on +32 2 464 60 04 (this number can also be found on the back of your ING bank card). This is the only ING contact number for this kind of procedure.
- Keep your device software up-to-date.
- Check that ING has your current telephone number so we can contact you if we notice any suspicious or unusual activity on your accounts.
- Always end your mobile banking sessions by pressing Log off.
- Never use jailbreak or Rootage software to eliminate the restrictions imposed by the manufacturer. (jailbreak for the Apple iOS mobile operating system or Rootage for Android).
- Reset your mobile device if you sell it.
- Lost or stolen mobile device?
To deactivate your app, you need to delete your ING Banking profile. There are 2 ways to do this:
- Call +32 2 464 60 04 (this number can also be found on the back of your ING bank card) and we will do it for you.
- Log into Home’Bank and delete your ING Banking profile yourself:
My settings > Mobile Banking settings > profile(s) – Modify > Action – Remove profile
Remember: you will have to create a new profile once you have your new device.
Get ING Banking app on your smartphone